Thursday, September 10, 2009

Le Bibliotheque

When I was little, my dad would bring my sisters and to the neighborhood library couple weeks, depending on how many books we were each able to devour. As I've grown older, I've seem to lost touch with my local library.

Instead of borrowing books, I've been reading the books my sister had bought or buying my own books. Now, I don't mind paying $20 - $30 for a book which I really love, and will read again, and again. However, if I was only reading the book, once, then the cost does not seem justified.

The library system has evolved since my elementary and high school days. Now, everything can be done online. I can check the status of my loans out, put holds on items, renew items. I can also search the library databases, and request to have books transferred to a location which is closer to me. The library I go to even has free Wi-fi! It's also got a lot of study cubicles if you want a quiet place to concentrate.

As citizens, we pay a fair bit in taxes. It's nice to see my tax dollars at work, and even nicer to enjoy the services that are offered for "free" to everyone.

Because I work in the great city of Toronto, I can start a clean slate with a new Toronto Public Library card (goodbye late fine Brampton Library card of the past!). I have re-discovered the joy of heading to the library. Of reading books for free. I also find the deadline of a return date, also serves as an incentive to read my book faster.

On a side note, there seems to be a glitch in the system yesterday, and my books have all been renewed to November 3o instead of September 30 (the usual 3 week loan period). So, now I have almost 3 months to finish "The Warren Buffett Portfolio: Mastering the Power of the Focus Investment Strategy."

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment